Recruiting a Principal
Employer: The Elizabethan Academy Trust
Location: Retford, Nottinghamshire
Salary: L30 to L39 (currently £96,239 to £119,921)
Contract type: Full Time
Contract Term: Permanent
Posted: 16th February 2024
Closing Date: 12.00 noon Monday 11th March 2024
Job Starts: 1st September 2024
The Elizabethan Academy is an 11-18 highly popular, non-selective, truly inclusive, significantly over subscribed school, with 1,144 students on roll with many more on a waiting list, not only of students from the town of Retford but also the surrounding rural areas too, Our students and their wellbeing, happiness and success is at the heart of everything we do. We are very proud of our academy and the opportunities it provides for our students. Our pastoral care focusses on students’ safety, personal development and wellbeing. At the core of everything we do is a meticulously planned broad and balanced curriculum with enrichment experiences, strategically designed to ensure every student gets the opportunity to achieve their best. Our extensive extracurricular activities enable all students to participate. The ethos of our school is based on our core values of Respect, Responsibility and Resilience. The new Principal will inherit an academy with embedded values but there is much scope to deepen student experience of, and engagement with, learning.
We are an inclusive school and know each of our students as individuals; they always come first. They are our biggest asset and best ambassadors. We have high expectations and are ambitious for young people. We are passionate about student leadership and want to shape the pioneers and leaders of tomorrow. Our Leadership Programme is recognised both locally and nationally.
We value our stand-alone academy status and the flexibility and independence it brings us, but partnership working is extremely important to us to enable the sharing of best practice and support our principle of continuous improvement. We make a valuable contribution to several teaching alliances and value our family partnership with our feeder primary schools. The new Principal will be someone who shares these values, will be outward-facing and eager to develop the wider education community, whilst bringing the best examples of effective practice to the benefit of our students.
We are seeking to appoint a highly experienced, aspirational, and dynamic individual with extensive knowledge of school leadership who will continue the development of the Elizabethan as a place which nurtures young people to be successful and inspires committed staff.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Be an outward facing, impactful and empathetic leader with vision and drive
- Be determined to secure the best educational experiences and outcomes for our students
- Have a strong proven track record of successful school improvement
- Be an outstanding classroom practitioner with a track record of maintaining high academic standards
- Be able to think strategically, innovate and work collaboratively with all our external partners
- Build on our extensive community links and further strengthen collaboration
- Further enhance our strong extracurricular provision
- Be able to inspire, challenge and empower our students and dedicated staff
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
We will provide you with:
- A cohesive school community with strong relationships between students and staff
- A tradition of excellence and respect
- Respectful students with a desire to learn
- A committed, hard-working, highly skilled and friendly staff
- A commitment to enable high quality continuing professional development for you
- A very supportive, highly committed Governing Board
The successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced Criminal Record Check via the DBS. The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that social media and public media checks will be carried out for applicants prior to interview.
Mrs Bal Kaur-Pierpoint of ASCL’s Leadership Appointment Service will be providing professional support to the Governors throughout the selection and recruitment process. If you would like to find out more about this rare and exciting opportunity to lead the Elizabethan Academy as Principal, please contact Bal on 07492 353 368 or email her at Bal.Kaur-Pierpoint@ascl.org.uk
Closing date for applications - 12 noon Monday 11th March 2024
Shortlisting - 13th March 2024
Interviews - 18th and 19th March 2024